ISD 709 hosted a public hearing related to the sale of Historic Old Central High School. The purpose of this hearing was limited to the topic of the sale of this building. The meeting was Tuesday, March 2, 2021 in the Historical Old Central High School Board Room beginning at 6:00 p.m. There will be no audience for this meeting unless you are making a public comment. Live broadcasting details are listed below.
Due to COVID-19, social distancing guidelines will be followed. A face covering is required at all times while you are in the building, even when you are speaking.
The following protocols will guide the Public Hearing procedures regarding public comments:
1. The Board will not hold discussion during this meeting and will not ask or answer questions. Their role at the public hearing is to listen.
2. Those wishing to make a comment to the School Board on the issue of the sale of Historic Old Central High School can attend the meeting in person or send in written statements for the record. Voicemails will not be accepted. More information below.
3. The Board is interested in hearing the community’s position on the topic of the sale of Historic Old Central High School and requests that concerns surrounding other school topics be reserved for discussion at a separate School Board meeting or through communication with the Superintendent.
4. The Board requests that discussions remain civil, courteous, and professional and that speakers refrain from making personal attacks or sharing sensitive non-public information about students or staff. We ask all speakers to follow the Eleven Tools of Civility.
5. The public is encouraged to watch the Public Hearing online at www.isd709.org/district/school-board and live on cable channel 187.
To attend in person:
• Please arrive at Historic Old Central High School (215 N 1st Ave E) via the 3rd street entrance.
• When you enter the building, you will be directed to the gymnasium on the 2nd floor.
• You must sign up to speak at the table by the entrance to the 2nd floor gymnasium by 6:00 p.m. on March 2, 2021.
• Speakers will wait in the gymnasium until it is time for public comment. Speakers will be escorted to the Board Room one at a time for their presentation and will be escorted back to the gymnasium when done.
• Speakers will be allotted three (3) minutes to share their thoughts with the School Board. Those speakers offering comments through an interpreter will have up to six (6) minutes.
• Speakers may not yield the balance of their time to others.
• Speakers may only speak once.
To send in a written statement:
• Written statements are due by Noon on Tuesday, March 2, 2021
o By mail: 215 N. 1st Ave. E., Attn: Superintendent, Duluth, MN 55802
o By email: email@example.com
o Please note on your written statement that it is for the “Public Hearing on Sale of HOCHS held on March 2, 2021."
• Written statements will not be read out loud at the Public Hearing. They will be scanned and posted publicly for the School Board and community to review.
Questions regarding the public hearing can be directed to Jackie Dolentz, at (218) 336-8704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.