Welcome to a New School Year!
Students grades 1 - 12 return to school Tuesday September 3, 2019.
Kindergarten students begin school Thursday September 5, 2019.
New families who have not yet registered their child are encouraged to do so as soon as possible rather than wait for the first day of school. This helps ensure teachers have a place and materials ready for each student and makes for an organized and welcoming first day.
District and school Back to School information packets arrive in homes in late August.
- Back to School Newsletter: Helpful information for the 2019 - 20 school year.
- Attendence Works: Learn more about how attending school regularly helps your child succeed.
- Apply Online to Receive FREE or Reduced Price School Meals: www.paypams.com/onlineapp. We appreciate families who take time to apply for free or reduced price lunch! Apply anywhere, anytime - the process is secure, confidential, convenient and available 24/7. Families qualifying for free/reduced school meals may also qualify for reduced school activity fees.
- Minnesota's Immunization Law: Be sure you've submitted documentation of your child's vaccinations or legal exemption to your school.
- Weather-Related School Closings & Two Hour Late Start: All families, especially those with elementary age students, should have a contingency plan for their children in the event of weather-related school closings or a Two Hour Late Start.
- Bullying Prohibition Policy & Tips for Parents: Creating a safe & welcoming environment for all students and staff in our schools, check the Back to School Newsletter and check Safe & Welcoming Schools.
2019-20 School Year Projects:
- School Boundaries Study & Discussion: This fall and winter, citizens will be asked to review information related to current school attendance areas and discuss potential changes. The purpose is to consider adjustments that would help ensure enrollment numbers are appropriate for the capacity of each school. Most larger districts adjust boundaries every few years - it's been over ten years since Duluth made adjustments to boundaries. The earliest any boundary changes would take place is September 2020.
- Duluth Public Schools Superintendent Search: After 8 years as ISD 709's Superintendent, Bill Gronseth announced his decision not to seek another contract when his current contract expires in June 2020. The Duluth School Board has expressed their appreciation for Superintendent Gronseth's service and for having ample time to develop a thoughtful, thorough process to identify a new superintendent. The Board and Human Resources Department will work with the Duluth community to conduct a superintendent search, please look for opportunities to get involved this school year.