How to Enroll
A warm welcome to you and your family!
We consider it an honor to provide educational services for your child and look forward to preparing them for a successful future in the home, community and workplace.
Enrollment forms and paperwork are available from your neighborhood school or click on the links below to print them out.
Each of the following forms must be filled out in order to enroll your child in school:
- Duluth Public Schools Registration Form
- Student Internet Permission Form
- Annual Health History
- Application for Educational Benefits: Apply Online or download the application, complete and return to your school.
Once completed, please make arrangements to drop the forms at your neighborhood school or at the Assistant Superintendent's Office (215 N. 1st Avenue East, Room 203). If you have questions, please call your school or the Assistant Superintendent's office at 218-336-8739.
The following documentation is required in order to register your child for school or Kindergarten:
- Verification of your home address by one of the following:
- Property Tax Statement
- Signed Lease
- Purchase Agreement
- Immunization Records. MN State Statute 121A.15 requires that all children entering a Minnesota school for the first time be completely immunized or provide legal exemption of the required immunizations: (Must provide a clinical printout of all immunization dates). Details from the MN Department of Health.
- Kindergarten - verification of your child's name and birthday by one of the following:
- Birth Certificate
- Health Care Professional Certificate
- SLC Registry Verification
- Hospital Souvenir Certificate
Note: To obtain a birth certificate for a child born in St. Louis County, contact the St. Louis County Recorder – Vital Statistics, Room 101 Court House, Duluth, MN. Phone 218-726-2559.
For Grades 1-12, verification of your child's name and birthday will be obtained through a copy of last year's school attendance record or permanent/other scholastic school record.
Additional documents are required when registering your child for Kindergarten:
- Early Childhood Screening. MN State Law requires a developmental and health screening for each child prior to enrollment in kindergarten. ISD 709 provides free screening most weeks during the months of September through April, with one additional date scheduled each month from May through August. View the Early Childhood Screening Calendar online and arrange an appointment or call 218-336-8816 or email email@example.com. An equivalent screening can be accepted from another agency or health care provider.
- Physical and Dental Exams. We recommend you make appointments for your child’s physical and dental examination prior to registration and bring the completed forms with you.
Open Enrollment and Transfers - Contact the Office of the Assistant Superintendent if you have questions, 218-336-8739: