Members of the public may present their comments in person. Due to COVID-19, social distancing guidelines will be followed. A face covering is required at all times while you are in the building, even when you are speaking. There will no audience for this meeting unless you are making a public comment. The hearings will be available for viewing on the Duluth School Board’s YouTube page.
In 2019, the District received a feasibility report outlining the significant investment needed to address deferred maintenance issues, totaling over $48.5 million. The District then embarked on a thorough planning process to bring options to the school board. A recommendation was made to list the property in order to ensure that a responsible reuse and redevelopment of the building would occur.
From the beginning, it was a priority of the District to preserve the historic character of the building and the neighborhood. As we near the end of this process it is important not only to share District information but also to hear from our community on thoughts related to Historic Central.
To attend in person:
• Please arrive at Historic Old Central High School (215 N 1st Ave E) via the 3rd street entrance.
• When you enter the building, you will be directed to the gymnasium on the 2nd floor.
• You must sign up to speak at the table by the entrance to the 2nd floor gymnasium by 6:15 p.m. on October 6, 2020.
• Speakers will wait in the gymnasium until it is time for public comment. Speakers will be escorted to the Board Room one at a time for their presentation and will be escorted back to the gymnasium when done.
• Speakers will be allotted four (4) minutes to share their thoughts with the School Board. Those speakers offering comments through an interpreter will have up to six (6) minutes.
• Speakers may not yield the balance of their time to others.
• Speakers may only speak once.
To send in a written statement:
• Written statements are due by Noon on Tuesday, October 6, 2020
o By mail: 215 N. 1st Ave. E., Attn: Superintendent, Duluth, MN 55802
o By email: email@example.com
o Please note on your written statement that it is for the “Public School Closing Hearing held on October 6th, 2020”.
• Written statements will not be read out loud at the Public Hearing. They will be scanned and posted publicly for the School Board and community to review.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON PROPOSED SCHOOL CLOSURE
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 709
ST LOUIS COUNTY, MINNESOTA
Notice is hereby given that the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 709 will hold a public hearing on the question of the necessity and practicability of the proposed closing of the following school:
Historic Old Central High School
215 N 1st Ave East, Duluth, MN 55802
The public hearing on the question of this proposed closure will take place on:
Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2020
Time: 6:00 PM
Location: Historic Old Central High School, 215 N 1st Ave E, 2nd Floor Board Rm
Duluth, MN 55802
Historic Old Central High School is being considered for possible closure for reasons including, but not limited to: (1) costs to address building deficiencies and/or (2) sale and transfer of ownership.
Expectations for the public hearing, including rules of decorum, will be posted on this website, including submission of requests to speak at the hearing.
BY ORDER OF THE SCHOOL BOARD
Independent School District No. 709 (Duluth Public Schools)
St. Louis County, Minnesota
School District Clerk