2018 Duluth Education Levy Referendum
Tuesday November 6, 2018
On November 6, voters are asked to consider renewing and increasing education funding in Duluth.
The proposed questions take into consideration community priorities and goals identified through Think Kids, community survey results gathered this summer and Duluth’s World’s Best Workforce Plan.
They include class size and educational classroom technology with teacher training and curriculum support.
Question 1: Renewal
- Maintain current levy investment of 16-18 full-time teacher positions to support class size
- This does not result in a property tax increase
- If Question 1 fails, Questions 2 & 3 automatically fail.
Question 2: Class Size
- Adds approximately 25 teachers district-wide to manage class size, increase site funding for specific supports based on needs, support financial stability
- Increase of $8.64 per month for the average home*
- If Questions 1 and 2 fail, Question 3 automatically fails.
Question 3: Update Classroom Technology Across the District
- Provide students and teachers with devices and infrastructure, staff development, curriculum support and upgrades
- Additional Increase of $5.03 per month for the average home*
*Average Duluth Home $150,000.
If the renewal doesn’t pass, schools will lose about $3.3 million in local education funding and class sizes would rise significantly over time. There would be slow or no updates to classroom technology.
The proposed referendum revenue authorization would be for ten years.
Our Schools. Our Community. Our Future.
Please Vote November 6.
The 2018 Duluth Education Levy questions will be on the same ballot as elections for U.S. Senate, U.S. and Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota Governor.
- Minnesota voters can register online through the Office of the Secretary of State.
- Find out where to vote through the Office of the Secretary of State.
- Learn about other ways to vote, including voting early in person or by mail.
- On November 6, look for the following questions on your general election ballot.
Prepared and paid for by ISD 709, 215 N. First Avenue East Duluth, MN 55802. This publication is circulated to apprise voters of facts pertinent to the referendum proposal. This publication is not circulated on behalf of any candidate or ballot question.