Misaabekong Ojibwe Immersion Program
Misaabekong News Update - 20/21 Class Schedule
Based on feedback from family listening sessions and Misaabekong team meetings, we have decided we will not offer Kindergarten for this school year. With the current staffing, we hope for and encourage your family to enroll in Misaabekong under the following plan:
- Kindergarten families will enroll in the English track but will have preference for the Misaabekong first grade class for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Aanakwadikwe will teach a first and second grade split
- A new cultural integration teacher will be hired for a third and fourth grade split to support Ojibwe language maintenance and continue cultural education by weaving Ojibwe practices/traditions/philosophy into the curriculum. Beshigonebiik will assist with the language component.
- Pending our numbers we may be able to invite the 5th graders to join this class or utilize Beshigonebiik to continue language and cultural support in the English strand.
- Misaabekong will have 2 full time classrooms assistants this year.
Register for September 2021:
The Misaabekong Ojibwe Language Immersion program is an option currently offered for Kindergarten and Grades 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 at Lowell Elementary, 2000 Rice Lake Road in Duluth.
Classrooms are designed to enrich the education of students by teaching core academic subjects in Ojibwemowin and developing appreciation of their own and other cultures. Bus transportation is provided for students in the Lowell or Myers-Wilkins attendance areas; otherwise transportation is the responsibility of families.