SUMMER SCHOOL 2020
To enroll in Summer School, click onto the link to the registration forms. Be sure to click on the proper link for the age of your child. Print up or make a copy of the form and complete the following:
AGES SIXTEEN AND UP:
The 2020 - 2021 Summer School Program will be completed strictly through distance learning. This is an Independent Study version of Credit Recovery. Teachers will be available to answer questions via phone, Google Meet, or email on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8:00 am - noon. Summer School will run from June 16, 2020 until August 19, 2020. Click Here For Form.
Denfeld students can recover credit through the Duluth Area Learning Center. There are two options:
1. Independent Study/Credit Recovery program:
- Students must be at least 16 years old and meet one or more of the state eligibility guidelines.
- Students ages 16-21 that need to earn credit(s) required for graduation and/or who have failed a required course for graduation are eligible.
- Students who have fallen behind in their graduation credits and are currently enrolled in another area high school would be dually enrolled with ALC in these programs.
How many classes can a student take?
- Each student can earn one (1) full credit or two half (.50) credits at a time. After successful completion of the course, the student may discuss, with their counselor, starting another course.
How often do I need to come to school?
- Students are required to complete all of the coursework with a 60% passing grade
- Student must attend school at least 19 hours for every .50 credit needed.
- Teachers are available Monday - Thursday, 8:00 - 8:45 am and 3:30 - 5:00 pm.
How long will it take to complete a course?
- The length of each course varies greatly as it depends on the amount of time and effort the student puts in as a learner.
What is difference between Credit Recovery and Independent Study?
- Students who have previously taken a course may have partial credit that can be used in the Credit Recovery.
2. Summer School
Summer School is a seat-based program held at one of the Middle or High School Campuses each year.
The program lasts a total of six weeks; four days a week (Monday - Thursday) from approximately 8:00 - noon.
A student may recover .5 credit in each three week session for a total of one credit.
Students must attend each day and are not allowed to miss class.
Students need to have attended ninth grade, failed a class to attend Summer School. The courses are credit recovery, not to get ahead for the following year.
Forms are available in Denfeld's Guidance Office in mid-May. Listen to the annoucements and all-calls that are sent home to families. The summer school dates and enrollment information will be those bulletins. Summer school forms will be added below when they become available.
The procedure to enroll at ALC is to have your School Counselor fill out a form and have your student bring it home. A parent/guardian then signs it and takes their child to the Area Learning Center to get enrolled in the course. Due to COVID-19, we will be doing the enrollment electronically or via the US Postal Service. Please contact your child's counselor to request credit recovery.