Denfeld students can recover credit through the Duluth Area Learning Center. There are two options:
1. Independent Study/Credit Recovery program:
- Students must be at least 16 years old and meet one or more of the state eligibility guidelines.
- Students ages 16-21 that need to earn credit(s) required for graduation and/or who have failed a required course for graduation are eligible.
- Students who have fallen behind in their graduation credits and are currently enrolled in another area high school would be dually enrolled with ALC in these programs.
How many classes can a student take?
- Each student can earn one (1) full credit or two half (.50) credits at a time. After successful completion of the course, the student may discuss, with their counselor, starting another course.
How often do I need to come to school?
- Students are required to complete all of the coursework with a 60% passing grade
- Student must attend school at least 19 hours for every .50 credit needed.
- Teachers are available Monday - Thursday, 8:00 - 8:45 am and 3:30 - 5:00 pm.
How long will it take to complete a course?
- The length of each course varies greatly as it depends on the amount of time and effort the student puts in as a learner.
What is difference between Credit Recovery and Independent Study?
- Students who have previously taken a course may have partial credit that can be used in the Credit Recovery.
TO ENROLL IN CREDIT RECOVERY FOR FALL, 2021, CLICK HERE.
BE SURE TO INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR COUNSELOR IN THE DROP DOWN BOX SO THEY CAN CHECK YOU ARE ENROLLED INTO THE CORRECT COURSES.
2. Summer School - The 2021-2022 Summer School Forms will be available in May, 2022
Summer School is a seat-based program held at one of the Middle or High School Campuses each year.
The program lasts a total of six weeks; four days a week (Monday - Thursday) from approximately 8:00 - noon.
A student may recover .5 credit in each three week session for a total of one credit.
Students must attend each day and are not allowed to miss class.
Students need to have attended ninth grade, failed a class to attend Summer School. The courses are credit recovery, not to get ahead for the following year.
Forms are available online (below). Listen to the annoucements and all-calls that are sent home to families. The summer school dates and enrollment information will be those bulletins. .
The procedure to enroll at ALC is to fill out a form or sign (student & parent) the form that was sent via email from your School Counselor. There are two options for Summer School 2021:
1. Seat-Based Summer School at Denfeld - Please Note the Change in Dates
- Students are given the opportunity to successfully complete/recover up to 1.5 credit required towards graduation.
- If your student failed a FIRST SEMESTER CLASS , the session runs from 8:00 am - 12:15 pm (with a 15-minute break) Tuesday, June 22, 2021 through Thursday, July 8, 2021. The session runs Monday through Thursday except for the first day which is a Tuesday.
- If your student failed a SECOND SEMESTER CLASS , the session runs from 8:00 am - 12:15 pm (with a 15-minute break) from Monday, July 12, 2021 through Thursday, July 29, 2021. The session runs Monday through Thursday except for the first day which is a Tuesday.
- POSSIBLE THIRD SESSION will be added if needed. The session will run from 8:00 am - 12:15 pm (with a 15-minute break) from Monday, August 8, 2021 through Thursday, August 19, 2021.
- These sessions may be subject to change based on student enrollment numbers.
- DTA Bus Passes will be provided.
- Attendance is mandatory in order to receive full credit.
2. ALC Credit Recovery Form - Digital (online) Learning - Please Note the Dates for this Summer
- The classes go from June 14th - July 1st. At that point, classes are closed until August. Your work will be saved and you will begin where you left off in each class.
- Must be 16 to sign up for this option.
- You can take two classes at a time. Once you complete a class, a new one will be opened when you contact ALC to let them know.
- For each .5 credit, 19 contact hours must be recorded. They can be done digitally or in person.
- In person options include (DTA Bus Passes Will Be Provided):
- At ALC: Mondays - Thursdays 8 - 4
- ALC Teachers will be available for assistance
- At Denfeld - Media Center & Media Center Computer Lab Mondays - Thursday 8 - 4 from June 14th - July 1st
- Community Schools Staff & Tutors will be there to assist with coursework
- At ALC: Mondays - Thursdays 8 - 4