Tawnyea L. Lake, Ph.D.
Director of Assessment and Evaluation
215 North 1st Avenue East, Rm 321
Duluth, MN 55802
Assessment Program Testing is one way that student achievement is measured in the Duluth Public Schools. The Duluth Public School administers three categories of assessments during the school year: state assessments, district benchmark assessments, and classroom assessments. State assessments take place once a year, district benchmark assessments take place up to three times a year, and classroom assessments are continuous and ongoing. All three types of assessments provide educators with the necessary information needed to measure student learning.
The Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments (MCA) and the Minnesota Test of Academic Skills (MTAS) are the state tests that measure student progress toward mastery of Minnesota’s academic standards as required by the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Most students take the MCA; however, students who receive special educations services and meet specific requirements may take the MTAS instead.
In addition to the required state assessments, students in grades K-5 take district benchmark assessments up to three times a year. Benchmark assessments measure student progress on academic standards, determine programmatic needs, and identify students who may need extra support or enrichment.
Individual teachers administer many types of assessments throughout the school year and may include quizzes, mid-terms, chapter tests, and final exams, among others. The results are used to determine mastery of skills and help inform instruction.
- 2020-2021 District Testing Schedule
- 2019-2020 District Testing Schedule by School
- 2019-2020 Access Testing Schedule by School
- Parent/Guardian Guide and Refusal for Student Participation in Statewide Testing
- Frequently Asked Questions: Why Statewide Assessments Matter
- Statewide Testing-Additional Information
- Minnesota Report Card
- Complete Research Request Form
- Forward an electronic copy of your approved IRB application to Dr. Tawnyea Lake at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once submitted, please allow 1-2 weeks for review of the completed Research Request Form and IRB application.