Are you getting ready to send your child to kindergarten?
Duluth Public Schools elementary schools provide a rich learning experience for students grades PreK-5.
- Free All Day, Every Day Kindergarten
- Strong Academics
- Music, Art, Physical Education, Media
- Time for Creative Play and Recess
- Emphasis on Family Partnership
- Social, Emotional Learning and Support
To enter kindergarten, children must be five on or before September 1 of the school year in which they enroll. It’s recommended that children attend kindergarten one year before entering first grade.
The following documentation is required in order to register your child for school:
- Verification of your home address by one of the following:
- Property Tax Statement, Signed Lease, Purchase Agreement
- Verification of your child’s name and birthday by one of the following:
- Birth Certificate
- St. Louis Count Registry Verification
- Hospital Souvenir Certificate
- Last Year’s Attendance Record
- Permanent or Other Scholastic School Record
Note: To obtain a birth certificate for a child born in St. Louis County, contact the St. Louis County Recorder – Vital Statistics, Room 101 Court House, Duluth, MN; 218-726-2559.
MN State Statute 121A.15 requires that all children entering a Minnesota school for the fi time be completely immunized or provide legal exemption of the required immunizations:
- Diptheria, tetanus and pertussis (DTP/Td) – 5 doses;
- Polio – 4 doses
- Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) – 2 doses
- Hepatitis B – 3 doses
- Varicella – 2 doses or physician documentation of disease (Must provide a clinical printout of all immunization dates)
Learn more at www.health.state.mn.us/immunize
Early Childhood Screening
MN State Law requires a developmental and health screening for each child prior to enrollment in kindergarten. ISD 709 provides free screening most weeks during the months of September to April, with one additional date scheduled each month from May to August. View the Early Childhood Screening calendar online and arrange an appointment at isd.709.org/academics/early-childhood or call 336-8816 or email email@example.com. An equivalent screening can be accepted from another agency or health care provider.
Physical and Dental Exams
We recommend you make appointments for your child’s physical and dental examination prior to registration and bring the completed forms with you.
Each school serves a designated attendance area. If you’re not sure which school serves your attendance area, phone our Transportation Department at 218-336-8970 or check online at isd709.org/families/transportation.
- For your convenience, school district policy allows us to transport children to and from daycare sites.
- The daycare center and the school your child attends must be in the same attendance area.
- Pick up and drop off addresses can be different from each other but must remain consistent five days a week.
- For safety reasons, we don’t make one-day or short-term changes in bus stops.